I read the BEST news yesterday in the Arthritis magazine.
People with rheumatoid arthritis who have taken methotrexate as part of their treatment are THREE times more likely to get skin cancer!
WOO HOO! YAY ME! No, the fact that I am whiter than snow and have already had a number of pre-cancerous moles removed wasn't enough!
I guess now would be the time to mention that my dear friend (who shall remain nameless Bethany) has already tried to diagnose me with some carcinoma due to a very strange looking thing on my body. Yeah, yeah...I'll get to the dermatologist soon.
(I filled out a survey tonight that asked if I was sarcastic...what do you think? LOL!)
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
RA & Skin Cancer
at
12:37 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Umm that is fabulous. Call the friggin dermatologist!
ReplyDeleteAngela's dad has severe plaque psoriasis, and was in a study using Methotrexate as one of the treatments. (psoriasis is related to cancer in the way the cells are overproduced.) one of the things he had to sign was a form saying he was aware that using methotrexate in this study put him at risk of developing skin cancer. However, it's specifically said malignant melanoma, which is the deadliest form of skin cancer. The same one my dad has. And that study was SEVEN years ago, so I'm surprised it's just now appearing in articles.
ReplyDelete