Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Africa, Part III

On Sunday, we got up and headed to Challenge Farm. We were all looking forward to spending Chapel with the children and staff. It was such a blessing to just be able to sit on the benches with these beautiful people and witness them worship God.

After Chapel, the team had work to do. We had taken a bunch of extra suitcases full of t-shirts, shoes, and activities to be given to the kids and to the street kids/mothers. We had to unpack them and organize them. We also had to keep what we were doing, or what we had, a secret from the kids. It should be a surprise, plus we needed to make sure that we had enough for everyone. Jealousy is an issue- if one child gets something while another doesn't, jealousy is a huge factor.

Another great day at the farm.

So, Mark and Stan kept telling me how amazing the sunrise was. But, with me not being a morning person, I have never been the type of person to wake up early just to see the sunrise. It will rise again tomorrow, right? Well, since I was in Africa, I said ok. I will get up at 5:45am in order to see this magnificent African sunrise.

Thank you, Mother Nature, for sending some beautiful clouds for me to see! Can you sense my sarcasm?!??!? Oh well, the men found it quite amusing. At least these clouds were indeed beautiful.



Back to the farm...

The kids were out of school during the week we were there. But, there were still some sewing classes going on. They use non-electrical sewing machines and the iron actually has coal in the bottom. These ladies are very talented. They make all of their school uniforms.


The pattern formula on the chalkboard for the seamstresses to use.

Elizabeth and Lilian outside of the girls dorm


Let's see, this is me with Lilian and Veronica. Aren't they gorgeous!?!? I love those girls. Elizabeth and Lilian are also modeling in their dorm. All of the kids have planted trees on the farm. Here, Lilian, Sara, and Diane (with Stan) are showing off their trees proudly. Then, I am with Elizabeth (she wants to come to America and sing. We all enjoyed listening to her sing! I even sang with her in her dorm.) And, a couple of darlings posing for the camera! ;)










Today, we planned on baptisms at the river. We almost had to cancel due to rain, but the clouds opened up long enough for us to make the LONG and very hard-on-the-ankles, trek down to the river. Cheri says that it was about 3km, which is only a mile and a half, but my ankles were just not having any fun!!! I had great company on the walk down with Emma, a CF social worker. I found her to have an amazing spirit that made her beautiful inside and out. The next pictures follow the journey down to the river, baptisms, after baptisms, and how beautiful the sky was on our way back to the farm.






Before the baptisms began, Stephanie led us in one of my favorite songs:

The River
By: Brian Doerksen

To the river I am going bringing sins I cannot bear
Come and cleanse me, come forgive me Lord I need to meet you there

In these waters, healing mercy flows with freedom from despair
I am going, to that river Lord I need to meet you there

Precious Jesus, I am ready to surrender every care
Take my hand now, lead me closer Lord I need to meet you there

Come and join us, in the river Come find life beyond compare
He is calling, He is waiting Jesus longs to meet you there
He is calling, He is waiting Jesus longs to meet you there

Precious Jesus, I am ready to surrender every care
Take my hand now, lead me closer Lord I need to meet you there
Take my hand now, lead me closer Lord I need to meet you there


I encourage you to google the song, listen to it, and medidate upon the words.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, those are great pictures! The sunrise thing made me laugh...Seeing the pictures of the baptisim and reading the song made me cry!!!

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺