Thanks Kim for such a great graphic of Kitale, Kenya!
One month ago today, I was dropping Ethan off of the fair and heading to the church to meet the team that would be traveling with me across the world to Kitale, Kenya, Africa.
L-R: John, Mark, Joe (team leader), Stan, Cheri- AKA: Mama Cheri, Fred, Stephanie, Nancy, Me, Amy, Donna. Not pictured: Amy (BFFK) and Jamey.
On the way to the church, Scott was very sweet and gave me a tiny piece of advice that meant so much to me. He said, "Try everything". I thought that he was talking about food, but he was talking about the entire experience in general. After all, when will be the next time that I get to experience Africa?
The flights went smoothly. We left from Greensboro and made a quick jaunt up to Washington DC. From there it was the first long leg- to Zurich. I had my own row of two seats the entire way to Zurich, so I was able to rest some while sticking my toe socks up in the air. LOL! It was so cool to be in Switzerland, I don't care if it was only the airport!!! (But, dang- they are expensive!!!)
PLUS, I got to see the Swiss Alps!!! How cool is that? They were so incredibly beautiful from the air. Oh, and Swiss Air is the bomb. Best service ever, plus they have GREAT milk! 
All I kept wanting to do, though, is yell "Reeeeee-cooo-laaaaa". hehe.
We also flew over Greece or Italy- maybe both. I just know that it was the Mediterranean. 
And, it was probably the closest that I will ever be to either of those places ever again...UNLESS (LORD WILLING), I get to return to Africa someday.
Arriving into Nairobi. These nifty little tv's on the back of the seat in front of you was high tech for me. I loved the map. I found myself watching the map a lot. So I guess I can say that flight trackers are awesome.
We made it through customs without any problems. There were men outside the airport immediately wanting to help you for money. Before leaving the airport, we exchanged our money. The rate was 72 schillings to one dollar. So, I exchanged $200 for over 14 thousand schillings. Boy, did I feel wealthy!
It took us quite a while to get from the airport to our destination for the evening. The traffic in Nairobi was unreal. People walk everywhere and hope to catch a ride on a bus. The smell of diesel is profound. I had quite the headache before we got to Margaret's. But, we did finally arrive to this beautiful compound. We had pizza waiting for us when we arrived and we were all able to just relax for a while and even get on the internet to let loved ones back home know that we made it!
This was me and Amy's (bffk) studio.

Amy and I stayed up WAY late just being chatterboxes and apparently others knew it because the walls were pretty thin. SORRY.
The next day, we woke up nice and early to have breakfast and then head out on our way to Kitale. I had taken one of Ethan's blankets with me so I could snuggle with it when I was having a "missing Ethan" attack. I so, inconveniently, forgot his blanket AND my makeup bags in Nairobi. I did not realize this until the following day, but I was very lucky that Margaret is a friend of Cheri's and she mailed me back my blanket and "stuff" (as Joe so affectionately kept referring to it).
Looking around every turn we made, I was still in awe that I was actually in Africa! The thought still blows my mind. I never wanted to be there...until God had other plans for me, and I thank God that He did. The vision of poverty was apparent. But, I also saw hard-working people. Carrying water jugs on your head with a baby on your back is not abnormal there. Animals ran wild. And, I am talking baboons, donkeys, sheep, zebras...
The scenery was stunning though. I never in my wildest imagination would have thought that I would say that the scenery in Africa is beautiful! 
Mark and I self-posing with Rift Valley behind us

Just me this time...it was breezy!
About half way into our trek up to Kitale, we stopped at Lake Nakuru National Park. Talk about gorgeous. Funny story...when we were getting ready to get off of the bus, the bus driver said to be sure that our windows were closed because the native, um monkeys, would find their way in to steal our stuff. Well, we all closed our windows and doors, but the bus driver left his window WIDE open. A lovely native found himself enjoying our recently purchased pretzels...
Some pictures from the game park:











And, just in case you were wondering how the restroom facilities were...
(No, I did NOT use this. There was a real toilet that was much easier on the knees- LOL!)
We left Lake Nakuru after seeing many different animals. LOTS of flamingos. We missed the lions- they were hiding. But, it was so much different seeing these animals in their natural habitat versus the zoo. I am so lucky to have been able to see such a wonder.
On the road again...WE CROSSED THE EQUATOR!

This road trip was a long one, but I am glad that we did it. I can say that I have experienced a Kenyan highway and all of its potholes. I can say that we did have to pull over on the side of the road for a potty break behind a bush. I can say that I got to arrive into Kitale, Kenya with the most unbelievable sunset of my life...


***To Be Continued...***
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Africa, finally!
at
10:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Kristen, I loved reading your account of the trip after I had looked through the photos before. I can't wait to read more!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures and story! Looking forward to more!
ReplyDelete