Friday, March 06, 2009

Sensory Processing Disorder

I went to a seminar on Wednesday with Ethan’s teacher, Mary.  The title of the seminar was “Strategies to Help Children with Sensory Processing Disorder”.  The two speakers were, Carol Kranowitz- author of  The Out-of-Sync Child, and Paula Aquilla, OT and co-author of Building Bridges Through Sensory Integration.

First of all, if you have a child with SPD and you do not have either of these books, I would recommend purchasing them!  I have already been able to learn so much!  I am, particularly, enjoying Building Bridges.  I love the checklist pages and activity samples given to try to work on.

We have known that Ethan has “sensory issues” for a while, but we just felt like we would try, try, try different suggestions without any luck.  Some of Ethan’s behaviors were appearing to be “mean”.  He was pinching or pulling hair and would not stop when told NO.  He would be having a great time playing with laughter and giggles and then, BAM, he would flip to be “mean”. 

When I told Ms. Aquilla this, she immediately asked me if Ethan has seizures. “ Ummmm, not that I am aware of”.  Ms. Aquilla is also studying neurology and proceeds to tell me that his behavior sounds like he is having sensory seizures.  She said that sensory seizures are not spoken of often because they are difficult to diagnose and they are not as obvious to others like say, a grand mal seizure.  We have a neurologist appointment on the 16th that took close to 9 months to get and I intend to discuss the possibility of sensory seizures with Ethan and if the lesions that were found on Ethan’s brain have any significance.  This should get interesting and I will be sure to update with a follow-up after the neuro appointment.

Back to the actual seminar- what wonderful speakers!  We were there for 9 hours, and that does not include my 5 hours of driving time to and from home, but it didn’t seem like it.  They both made such a complicated subject fun to learn about! 

There are different classifications within SPD:

Sensory Modulation Disorder/Sensory Over-Responsivity (SOR)

  • Defensive Behavior
  • Avoids sensation
  • Most common SPD
  • Most emotional
  • Fast fight, flight, and/or fight response to cope
  • Challenging, rigid
  • Frequent Meltdowns

Sensory Under-Reponsivity (SUR)

  • Requires intense input just to notice
  • Disregards sensation; appears disengaged
  • Safety issue; poor response to pain
  • Slow responsiveness

Sensory Seeker (SS)

  • Constantly seeking out sensation
  • Bumper and crasher
  • Safety concern
  • Can be impulsive
  • Seems more than even they can handle

Sensory Discrimination Disorder (SDD)

  • Can’t differentiate between sensation; even between internal and external sensation
  • May or may not co-exist with SMD

Sensory Based Motor Disorder (SBMD)

  • Postural Disorder
  • Difficulty with core strength, balance, bilateral co-ordination
  • Low tone, easy fatigue
  • Associated responses
  • ‘leaner’

Sensory Based Motor Disorder (SBMD)

  • Dyspraxia
  • Clumsy, difficulty learning new movements
  • Ideational, ideomotor challenges
  • May prefer familiar tasks as new ones are so difficult to learn
  • Behavior can be inflexible

Ethan can check off a number of these symptoms within the classifications!  Ms. Aquilla said that it is quite common for kids to cross over into other classifications.  I felt better about that, knowing that we aren’t the only ones!

We were working on a sensory diet (sample sensory diet here) already, but after attending this seminar, we are in SD overdrive!  Another thing that I am going to work on (PRAY FOR ME NOW!!!), is taking as much artificial color, especially reds, out of Ethan’s diet.   I know that Ethan is not going to be very happy with this since he LOVES his strawberry milk!  What we are going to try as a substitute is to puree some frozen/fresh strawberries and add that mixture to his milk instead.  Here’s to hoping it works!!!

The next project in line after removing artificial colors for a while is to go gluten-free.  YIKES!!!  Do you know how many foods have gluten in them?!?!?!  Especially the foods that Ethan LOVES!  I believe it was Ms. Kranowitz who mentioned that she once had a student who only ate 3 things and those 3 things were toxic to his system.  Artificial colors and gluten could very well be contributing to some of Ethan’s challenges.  We have to try this.  If it works, great!  If not, then at least we can say that we tried.

There are other things that we can do diet-wise, but I want to start with those two things.  I am thinking at least a month without AC first and then introduce GF- is that enough time to see a change?

I gained SO much information from this event.  I am a little overwhelmed by it all, but I see hope.  We are SO incredibly lucky to have Mary for our teacher!  She took the day off of work, unpaid thank you, to get more information on how she can help Ethan.  We all want to work as a team and be on the same page. 

This sensory business is NO JOKE and I hate it, but we do have a dim light in the distance at the end of a very long tunnel.  This is another battle that Ethan will fight, and just like all of his previous battles, he will WIN and come out on top.  I have faith in him that he can!

7 comments:

  1. I have the Out of Sync Child book. But I've not seen the other. Austin has something.. no name for it yet.. other than it has to do with modulation. He can switch to mean too. But not with us.. with other children. It's very frustrating. Glad you are getting some answers. Tell me... I can control the diet at home.. but how do you control the school diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:14 AM

    I'm glad you're getting the information that you need. The diet changes sound like a good plan! Thanks for sharing so much info on your blog. This helps me with children that I treat in PT. I'm going to some cont. ed. next week on "the out of sync child" so I will pass on any good info. For Amy re: controlling the school diet-you pack a lunch EVERY DAY. Can be a pain...I know as I've been doing it EVERY DAY for the PAST 6 YEARS (x 2 kids) due to peanut allergies. But, the peace of mind is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh good idea on the pureeing strawberries! I hope the diet works and I'm so happy you were able to attend this conference! Praying for good things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating stuff! I find the whole autism spectrum side of things far more overwhelming to deal with than the Down syndrome side. There's just so many things out there!

    Good luck with the gluten free! We did it with Kayla for a while and she's still 90% gluten free. She did test with a slight wheat sensitivity. We didn't really see any improvement aside from the fact that she doesn't have diarrhea anymore. Nothing on the cognitive/behavioral end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the book "The Out of Sync Child" and read it because I thought it was interesting. I know God had that book for me. Our middle son has been suffering with sensory issues since he was little. I could never figure out what was wrong with him until I read that book. Now, they work with him extensively at school and boy what an improvement. It really is a disorder and needs to be worked through. People told me I was nuts, but I knew better. I am glad you got to go to the seminar/meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I have heard people doing this but that takes a lot of work. Good luck with it and I really hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:56 PM

    Building Bridges is one of my favorite OT books! Sounds like you are on the right path!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺