Friday, February 19, 2010

Shep: Good/Bad News


104_0014a

The vet called me yesterday.  She says, "I have good news, and I have bad news".  *sigh*  "OK".

GOOD NEWS:  The tumor removed from the neck is free and clear.  All cancer cells removed.  Yay!

BAD NEWS:  The tumor removed from the belly is NOT free and clear.  There are still cancer cells in the surrounding tissues.  And, it will continue to spread.  There is no other surgery to do- the vet took as much tissue possible.  If she would have taken any more, she wouldn't have been able to close him up.  The only other option would be radiation and we are not going to do that.  It is a good thing that she took the tumor out though.  If she hadn't, he ran a really high risk of having a ruptured tumor and then having a bleeding issue internally which would equal having to put him down.  Boo!

So, our cancer-free happy dance was short-lived.  He still has it and he has heartworm.  Now, the question is whether to proceed with the heartworm treatment or not.  Our vet is posting Shep's scenario on a Vet Board where over 20,000 vets come for help/opinions of other veterinarian professionals.  She is not one to do anything to a dog that  is not in his best interest and I certainly appreciate that.  I should hear back from her next week on that.

Overall, Shep is doing really well!  He is not messing with his incisions at all.  Of course, we don't think that he can really reach them anyway.  Shep has been hanging out with Scott during the day that way he feels back to normal and Scott can keep an eye on him.  Thank you to everyone who has voiced their concern for our Shep!

3 comments:

  1. Geez, so sorry to hear that...I know you will figure out the right thing to do for the love of your Shep.

    Hugs,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no!!

    I hope you figure it all out on what to do. Isn't treating heart worms long and costly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get better news :( continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺