Well, I guess this is one of the reasons why I created this blog thing-a-ma-jigger...
Ethan had his routine spinal tap (LP) yesterday morning. This is so the doctors can take spinal fluid out to make sure that the leukemia is not trying to hide in the spinal column and then they inject chemotherapy into the spinal fluid. He also gets a shot of Vincristin (another chemo- the one that actually made him lose his hair in the beginning). When Ethan gets a LP and Vincristin, a low-grade temperature and headache/irritability are common side effects, but Ethan ended up spiking to almost 102 last night.
Ethan did not come out of his anesthesia like usual, but I was thinking that he may have just been given a little extra Propofol (sedation med). He was extremely crabby, wouldn't eat, would barely drink...The big tip off was his eyes. I kept telling my mother-in-law (visiting from California) that his eyes did not look well, but as the day went on, he was more playful and perking up so I just watched him. The eyes got sicker and sicker post 4 pm and then the fever set in about 7pm.
I called the hospital and they said that we had to bring him in. There is a chance that his port-a-cath is infected. This is not a good thing. We have had that problem once before and Ethan had to have it switched out to the other side of his chest because yeast grew on it and yeast does not go away once it attaches to the port.
As I said above, Scott's mom is in town visiting and she is set to go home tomorrow night. I feel so bad for her! I didn't want her to see Ethan like this and I especially don't want her to get back on a cross-country flight knowing that her "guy" is in the hospital. There's nothing that I can do about it, but I wish I could!
I think that's about it. Scott is with Ethan today while I am at work. I left the hospital around 1:30 am and got to sleep around 3am, was up at 5:30...so, work is on notice to BEAR WITH ME! :-) I will try to not bite anyone's head off!
I just keep getting more and more frustrated with school. My home computer's "motherboard" decided to go home to its "Mother Ship", so I have been without a computer at home to do my homework. I had gone over to Theresa's for a couple of nights and stayed until 11pm both times trying to work on homework. What a nice host I am to the MIL...Hi! I have to leave you now to go and do homework! Geesh... And with all of Ethan's hospitalizations lately, it is just getting harder and harder to concentrate on it all.
Ok, the rambling has officially started (2 hours sleep remember).
Love to all.
Saturday, October 15, 2005
A little Spinal = Fever & Hospitalization
at
3:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment
It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺