Wednesday, September 26, 2018

9/25 Update

Ok, so I just did a LIVE video on Facebook with most of the update, so here is just the written version.

Today was super emotional for me. Maybe it's that we've been in here a week now; maybe it's because I miss my baby girl; maybe it's because Ethan caught C. diff; maybe it's because I haven't had much consecutive sleep (though, our nurses are AMAZING and don't bother me at all during the night); maybe it's because I'm overwhelmed; maybe it's ALL OF THE ABOVE. Ok, it's likely all of the above, but I did step away for a shower (the floor has a section for families in the ICU to be able to rest/shower) which always makes me feel better.

Besides the whole bomb of the C.diff finding, Ethan had a really good day. He has been comfortable and well sedated. He did wake up for a brief second when I kissed him on the forehead to tell him I loved him and he made eye contact before drifting back to sleep. I said on FB that it was his reassurance to me that he's ok and that he knows I am here.

He was started on flagyl for the C.diff and he may have had a minor allergic reaction. His upper lip looked like a bee stung it so they gave some benedryl and I think it looks a little better. Watching.

His skin color is also leaning yellowish. Could be the lighting, maybe, but a panel for his liver will be ran in the morning.

Ethan has had a fever all day that hasn't budged.

His poor legs have lost muscle mass already. They're just little chicken legs. I've been giving him his feeds, but I still think he's lost weight from the loss of muscle.

This is the plan as of right now:


  • Start propofol and stop versed and morphine. Propofol has a shorter "life span" so he won't be as sedated when it comes time to remove the vent.
  • Continue precedex
  • Continue methadone and ativan to ease any potential withdrawal symptoms from the long-term sedative/narcotic use over the past week.
  • Take the vent settings to pressure support. This will basically have Ethan doing the work and the vent will only kick in if he doesn't. He needs to be able to show that he can breathe on his own without the vent.
  • Stop feeds around 4am. 
  • If all goes well overnight, extubate around 10am tomorrow
I feel a tad nervous about the extubation. I should be doing cartwheels (ok, I should NEVER be doing cartwheels, but you get what I am saying) about him getting the breathing tube out, but there's just something about it that is giving me anxiety.

Ok, I stepped away in the middle of writing this and forgot to publish it. I don't know if I forgot anything. Until next update...












No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺