Saturday, February 01, 2014

GD!!!!

Ok, before my fellow Christians have a heart attack, I am not saying that.  

Gestational Diabetes (GD).  Doctor says I have it.  And, I'm a lot emotional about it.

So, I failed the 1-hr glucose screening- which I halfway anticipated because I did with Ethan, too.  But, I also fasted when I didn't have to, so who knows how accurate that screening was.  But, it was not a slight fail, it was not good at 196 (has to be under 140 to pass). 

I went in for the 3-hr glucose screening and drank the drink.  That was MUCH harder than the 1-hr!  Ugh, I felt so sick!  There is just something so wrong about pumping anyone, let alone a pregnant woman, that much sugar at once!  The phlebotomist warned me that if I got sick then the test would be void and we'd have to do it all over again so I did everything I could to mentally keep my mind focused to physically not lose it. 

The most awful drink


The next day, I got the call...

Levels:  {normal level in ()}

Fasting:  95 (95) N
1-hr:  208 (185) H
2-hr:  158 (155) H
3-hr:  64 (140) L

"You have gestational diabetes."

I may be flagged for being the most difficult patient ever.  I missed the cutoff by 3 points (you can fail one and be ok).  I'm pissed about that.  Three freaking points.  Yes, I know there are cutoffs for a reason, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. 

I think, for me, what is so upsetting is that I don't have a big sweet tooth to begin with, nor am I eating lots of breads/starches.  I eat lots of fruits and veggies and chicken over any other meat.  I do love a good sandwich, but I'm not eating the basket of breadsticks at Olive Garden.  I haven't gained any weight, I've actually lost and Pip was approximately 3 pounds at her last ultrasound at almost 29 weeks (I'm currently 31 weeks).  I get out and walk- even though I do take it easy since anything more than a casual walk brings on some pretty good Braxton Hicks contractions. 

It's just a kick in the gut.  I kept waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me since everything with this pregnancy has been going perfect and I guess this is it.  I've taken care of myself, mostly.  Of course, I've had the rare Starbucks treat or Cold Stone milkshake, but let me assure you it was rare. 

So, now I have to meet with a dietician next week to go over how to check my blood sugar 4x's a day and what food to eat that will be within good glycemic index guidelines.  The whole diet thing isn't as big of a deal and not a terrible change in general, but the label, the statistic that is attached to me is annoying the crud out of me.  I was "high risk" before but really only "medium risk" according to my doc due to my age and having Ethan, but now I am "high risk".  I'm told I will be monitored more and I am nervous that they will try to force things I am against down my throat.  I have to remain confident in my knowledge as a doula that I will be fine and so will Pip. 

I'm just annoyed by it all.  And, I swear, now that it would be a big no-no for me to have a sweet tooth attack, I want a large milkshake with a side of Krispy Kreme.  Annoying.

2 comments:

  1. It sucks. You will be ok, though. Pip will be ok. There can be carbs o'plenty on her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fellow GD person. You will probably be getting a weekly non stress test the rest of your pregnancy. I took it as a nice weekly quiet rest time. They strap you up to the fetal monitors and you lay there till a nurse comes back! lol You can have a sandwich and tea. How old are you nowadays? I was 36 when I had the twins, 38 with Aaron and 40 with Rhiannon.I was high risk all 3 times, GD all 3 times. Take a deep breath, Keep eating healthy, and enjoy being preggers again, even though you have to do all this shite(checking blood, NST(nos stress tests)'s. Be thankful for all of your blessings. When I wake up in the morning I say a quick thank you to the heavens for another day. I love you and can't wait to meet her!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to "FEEL THE LOVE" ♥♥♥, leave a comment ☺