Today was all about doctor appointments for Ethan and Shep. Ethan had his neurosurgery follow-up and Shep had to see the vet. One had good news and one had not-so-good news...
Good News: Ethan is doing GREAT and has all but been discharged. We only need to return to the neurosurgery clinic if we notice any significant changes. ☺
Not-So-Good-News: There is a high probability that Shep's cancer has spread to his lungs. :'(
I took Shep in today because he has been retching for a few weeks. It is awful sounding. He never actually vomits, but oy vey- poor pups seems to try. I freaked out about bloat or twisted tummy {Hello, anyone see Marley & Me???}.
After an exam, I agreed that an x-ray was needed. The good news was that his tummy is perfect. The bad news was that there was a "suspicious" something near his pancreas. But, the big not-so-good news is that it was really difficult to see Shep's lungs. They were very cloudy and the vet even said that it was difficult to hear air flow through his lungs. While the vet could not confirm that the cancer has spread, Scott and I are fairly confident that this is what's happening. It doesn't explain the retching, though. That was still a puzzle and the theory is that he has drainage from allergies {too bad Juice Plus+ for dogs isn't available anymore! ;)} just like us humans have.
Now what? We watch his breathing and keep him comfortable. This is not operable, nor would we put Shep through that. He is getting up there in age, but he still has quite a bit of pep in his step and he is not telling us that it's "time". We have put him on some antihistamines hoping that it helps the retching.
Thanks to my Mom for letting me cry with her when I was freaking out and to Heathe for calming my fears. xoxo
Tuesday, May 03, 2011
Doctor Appointments For My Boys
at
7:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Oh, Kristen, I'm so sorry about Shep. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteoh i am so sorry kristen. we went through this with our sweet dog, maddie. we had no warning though and didnt even get to say goodbye :( love on him!! i am hoping its not the cancer and the antihistamines help!! hug friend!
ReplyDelete