Recently, a higher up administrator of our school district asked, "We know that Ethan will gain from being included in the typical classroom, but what will the typical kids gain from Ethan?". Really?
So, my new project is this:
I am collecting stories or blips from typically-developing kids about how knowing a child with special needs has affected their life and what they have learned from them. Siblings are awesome, but I would like a stronger focus on non-family members simply because of the point I am trying to make to this ignorant administrator.
Ask around and respond back here or e-mail me. I know that when I wrote the article for Ds News, one of the comments from another student was, "I could be having a bad day and I see Ethan's smile and I don't have a bad day anymore".
I would love to present a huge stack of similar stories. Can you help? Please pass along and repost. Let's make a difference, friends. We shouldn't have to fight like this anymore.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Project-NEED HELP.
at
3:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I'm on it. That's absurd. and I'll look for research too. Can't fight facts.
ReplyDeleteSeriously?! What would they gain??!
ReplyDeleteI think what you're doing is great!! I hope you get tons of feedback.
Max is loved by all the kids at school, especially girls.
Timmy is just finishing up 4th grade and has always been in a special ed class. I've never fought it so all of this inclusion stuff confuses me. I know inclusion is what so many parents strive for but I guess I don't get it. I always figured Timmy was getting the extra help he needed so it wasn't a bad deal.
ReplyDelete